I have a thing for stuffed vegetable, let it be egg plant, zucchini, peppers and even mushrooms. It is such a convenient, comforting food that satisfies even the meat lovers (well, sometimes we fill it with ground pork, but even without it, they are happy… I guess). Being also a huge fan of sweet potatoes it surprised me that I haven’t stuffed them yet. So far I had mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato sushi, baked sweet potato, sweet potato soup, sweet potato curry and sweet potato fries (I’m literally feeling like Bubba from Forrest Gump right now). No stuffed sweet potato. Until now. When I did my grocery shopping and came across some very giant representatives of their kind something in my head clicked and I had this great epiphany of a beautifully stuffed sweet potato with spinach, feta cheese and pine seeds. Just perfect.
Without any further delay I grabbed the biggest, most beautiful sweet potatoes, got my other shit done and started to craft in the kitchen. Unfortunately I underestimated the time, the sweet potatoes would need to be cooked completely. It took ages even though I poked holes with a fork into them. After an hour or so I had the brilliant idea to cut them into half which actually helped (should have thought about that earlier). The rest was quite quick and simple, which is why I would declare this recipe as fairly easy and quick nevertheless. The stuffed sweet potato bakes on its own and you can pursue other businesses during this process.
- 2 big sweet potatoes
- soy or rape oil
- salt & pepper
- ~ 50g feta cheese
- frozen leave spinach
- cream cheese (optional)
- 20-30g pine seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F) and cover a baking tray with parchment paper
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Take a fork and pierce holes into the potatoes, so that they cook faster. If the potatoes are really big you can even cut them into halves.
- Place them on the baking tray into the oven and let them bake for 20 - 30 minutes
- Take them out and drizzle some oil on top, then place them in the oven for another 20-30 minutes. Depending on the size it may take from 40 - 60 minutes to cook them. You want them nice and soft. If unsure prick them with a fork. If you can pull it out easily the potato should be fine.
- While the potatoes are cooking heat a pot on your stove and add the frozen spinach to it. Let it thaw and drain the excess water. Add parmesan, cream cheese and stir all the ingredients together. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Put the pot aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked take them out of the oven and cut them into halves (if not already done). Take a spoon and scoop them out.
- Add the sweet potato mass and the feta cheese to the spinach and mix it all together.
- Now spread this stuffing equally into your four halves and top it with some more grated parmesan.
- Put the potatoes into the oven for another 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese is molten.
- During this time you can heat a small pan and roast some pines seeds.
- Take the sweet potatoes out, serve them on a plate and top them with cress and pine seeds.
Here’s some more sweet potato inspiration:
Thai Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Red Curry Peanut Sauce
Grilled Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes
Baked egg stuffed Sweet Potatoes