Today you get a recipe I didn’t think would end up on this blog. Surely this is not because it’s not good or hard to make. Not in the slightest. No, this is one of my favourite dishes, especially when I need some variety on my plate. The combination of fresh tomato, creamy avocado, fried sweet potato with garlic, smoked tofu and spinach and some homemade, vegan ketchup is not in the least as complicated as it sounds. It’s complex and simple at the same time and is hella delicious.
I’ve posted a similar creation on Instagram a while bag. And I’m pretty sure there were similar version on my old (deleted) IG Account as well. I love to add some fruity tomato to salty dishes, as well as a creamy avocado with Kala Namak. The vegan ketchup is just an extra. A delicious extra.
Recipe for vegan ketchup
I prefer to make my own vegan ketchup for several reasons.
- It doesn’t take much time and I don’t use ketchup too often to buy it.
- Store bought ketchup usually contains lots of sugar. If you make it yourself – it’s much easier as one would think – you know exactly what’s inside. Also you only need 4 ingredients.
- You are free to vary the recipe as you like.
My homemade, vegan ketchup doesn’t taste like store bought ketchup. It really depends on your own personal taste what you’d like to add, to make it more fruity/spicy/smoky. The basic recipe consists of tomatoes (fresh or dried, doesn’t matter), tahini for the bitterness, salt and dates for the sweetness.
Sweet potato – tofu stir-fry with spinach
Well, the ketchup does not stand for itself of course. We’re adding fried sweet potato, smoked tofu and spinach. You already proved how much you love the combination of sweet potato and spinach. But this time we’re not baking the sweet potato but fry it in the pan. A great recipe if you have only one pot / pan.
Fried sweet potato with spinach, smoked tofu and homemade, vegan ketchup
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1 pack smoked tofu (my recommendation: Black Forest Tofu)
- 1 level tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp salt
- frying oil
- 1 beef tomato
- ½ - 1 avocado
- white or black sesame
- fresh basil
- salt, pepper, kala namak
- 4-5 dates
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 tsp sesame paste / tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- Dice and wash the sweet potato. If you don't like the skin, peel it in advance of course.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the sweet potato until it gets soft. This will take approximately 20-30 minutes. Instead of frying you can also cook or bake the sweet potato in the oven. Note that all options will take about the same time.
- While the sweet potato is in the pan mince the garlic and dice the onion and smoked tofu. Once the sweet potato gets softer you can add the other ingredients. Lower the heat before adding the onions, garlic and tofu. Add more oil if necessary.
- Season with salt and cumin.
- Chop the spinach roughly and add lastly, once the sweet potato is completely ready. Deglaze with some water.
Dressing the plate.
- Clean and slice the tomato and arrange with some basil leaves on one side of the plate. Season with pepper and salt.
- Halve the avocado and scoop it out with a spoon. Cut it into slices and arrange it on the other side of the plate. Season with kala namak.
- Place the fried sweet potato in the middle of the plate, garnish with basil and sesame seeds and add the ketchup on top.
- Mince the dates and let them soak in hot, not boiling water for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixer and blend it until you have a smooth and soft mixture. Add water if necessary.