Today I want to share one of my favourite quick salad recipes with you. A recipe that will get you sated and happy and which is a proper meal if you want to. Since I reduced my meat intake I know that I have to get my fair share of proteins somewhere else. And although I know that beans are one of THE most amazing plantbased protein sources I never really included them in my meal plan properly.
I never ate bean on a regular basis.
But since I got the inspiration for this salad at work I eat chickpeas and kidney beans much more regularly. Another advantage of this salad is that it’s made in no time. 15 Minutes of work (20 if you clean up directly afterwards) and you can netflix and chill on your couch.
Often when I come home from work and I don’t feel like cooking this salad is the perfect solution. As I work at an organic supermarket I simply buy some leek, a red pepper maybe some tomatoes and 15 Minutes later this lovely chickpea salad is ready to be inhaled by me.
By the way, the chickpea salad can be easily modified so it never gets boring. I love to add avocado, tomato, red onions or corn to it. Or how about some boiled eggs, spicy smoked tofu or some tuna?
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 leek
- add any vegetable you like, this salad is super diverse
- 20ml Olive oil
- 10ml Balsamico Bianco (optionally other vineguars should be fine, too. Try apple vinegar or dark balsamico for example)
- 1 tbsp hot or medium-hot mustard
- 2 tbsp Curry
- 1-2 tbsp agave syrup / honey / maple syrup
- Start by mixing the dressing in your final salad bowl. Like this you won't waste any dressing and reduce dirty dishes. Mix oil, mustard, honey/syrup and curry in a bowl and where necessary add more oil or water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the canned chickpeas and kidney beans to a sieve and rinse them with water until there's no foam left. Add it to the salad bowl.
- Slice the leek and pepper and add it to the bowl as well.
- Mix everything well and enjoy immediately or let it marinade for a few hours or over night.
Want more salad inspiration?
- Warm aubergine & courgette salad
- Nectarine & Sweet Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Penne Salad with Arugula and Olives
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Avocado Salad with Tahin Dressing
- Surf & Turf Salad
- Homemade Mezze
By now I eat this salad every 1 – 2 weeks. Have fun trying it yourself 🙂 And let me now in the comments how you modified the recipe and what you added to it!